In summer we all love to enjoy the time outside, get all the needed and long awaited sun but we still need to think at protecting our skin, same as in winter.
In fact even in summer, we risk to have dry skin: the sunlight absorbs moisture from our skin leaving it dry and flakey. Even going often in a swimming pool may dry your skin due to chemicals from chlorine.
How to relieve dry skin on your legs?
There are some things you can do at home to relieve dry skin on your legs.
1. Avoid irritants that can make dry skin worse like:
- fragrances in soaps and lotions (these are not natural and number one cause of major skin irritations and allergies)
- showering in very hot water
- showering multiple times a day
- harsh ingredients in soaps that can remove moisture from the skin stripping off all its natural oils (watch for SLS: Sodium laureth sulfate and Sodium laurel sulfate for example in the ingredient list)
2. Moisturize your skin: moisturizers are formulated to help trap water in your skin. Applying moisturizer daily, particularly right after you shower, can help reduce dry skin.
3. Eat antioxidant rich foods and drink plenty of water.
Eating a diet rich in antioxidants is one of the best things you can do for your skin. Your skin will look healthier and it will also help protect you from health conditions.
Some of the best sources of antioxidants include berries, dark chocolate, and green tea.
Broccoli, spinach, carrots and potatoes are also all high in antioxidants, and so are artichokes, cabbage, asparagus, avocados, beetroot, radish, lettuce, sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin, collard greens and kale.
Using lots of spices in cooking is good.
4. Use sun protection.
We love to enjoy our much needed time outside but we always need to protect our skin, rain or shine!